Shun-yo-kai was established in 1922 as a society where the department of Western-style painting of Nihon Bijutsuin (The Japan Art Institute) and Sodosha, an artistic community, joined together. The original members of the society were Misui Kosugi, Gen-ichiro Adachi, Hakuyo Kurata, Noboru Hasegawa, Tsunetomo Morita, Kanae Yamamoto, and Ryuzaburo Umehara. They were joined by special members including Tsuruzo Ishii, Keiji Imazeki, Ryusei Kishida, Shohachi Kimura, Kazumasa Nakagawa, and Tetsugoro Yorozu.
After the first exhibition in 1923, many artists who had made an imprint in Japanese art history became members. Following the group of returnees from France (like Shiro Kayama, Shikanosuke Oka, Shonosuke Migumo, and Rikizo Takada), Tai Nakatani and Hajime Minamioji became members. Also in the department of print art, Kiyoshi Hasegawa, Tetsuro Komai, and Naobumi Seimiya participated.
Although Shun-yo-kai had to stop sponsoring exhibitions during the war, it consistently handed down its philosophy since its establishment based on mutual individualism, which means respecting each other’s individuality, in Japanese culture and traditions. At the same time, our society has accepted new artists with talent and artistic sensibility, such as Reitaro Fujii, Takashi Tanaka, and Hideo Gomi.
Currently, we have about 200 members in the department of painting and 70 in the department of print art. We are striving to seek the possibility of new art through judging the submitted artworks and operating the exhibitions by all the members. Also, efforts are being made to expand the activities of the study group, which is a tradition since the establishment, to train future generations with an intent to contribute toward further development of art and culture.